Thursday, March 20, 2014

March 18th

Hope  you had a Happy St. Patrick's Day 
Hello Family and Friends,
 
This week was Spring Break for our area but no Spring Break for missionaries!!
 
Almost everyone we teach was either gone, sick or busy.... So it was pretty slow but we did our best with what we had and it turned out to be a great week.
 

 A scripture that I found this week and really enjoy is 3 Nephi 14:24-27. If we build on Christ we cannot fall for he is our rock and salvation. If you haven't heard the song "The Wise Man Build His House Upon a Rock" go find someone that is willing to sing it while doing the hand signs because they are really great :) And yes as I shared that scripture this week with several people I did sing the song and use the hand signs, it was hilarious! The song goes "The wise man built his house upon a rock, the wise man built his house upon a rock, the wise man built his house upon a rock and the rain came a tumbling down! The rain came down and the floods came up, the rains came down and the floods came up, the rains came down and the floods came up but the house on the rock stood still. The foolish man built his house upon the sand, the foolish man built his house upon the sand, the foolish man built his house upon the sand and the rains came a tumbling down! The rain came down and the floods came up, the rains came down and the floods came up, the rains came down and the floods came up and the house on the sand washed away." I love the imagery that comes from this story. Imagine you are building a house. first you have to level the ground and pour the foundation before beginning to build the rest of the structure. Now think of the last time you went to the beach and built a sand castle. Most likely you hastily gathered large buckets of sand, dumped them upside down, put a flag on top and called it good before running off to play in the water. Which structure is going to withstand a fierce storm? Not the sand castle, that's for sure. Similar when we run through our prayers as quickly as we can so we can eat, only skim read (or don't even pick up) the scriptures and pay little attention to our everyday actions we are building our spiritual foundation our of sand. When the storms of life come we, like the sand castle, will crumble under the rain and winds. So next time you pray take some time to sincerely talk to your Father in Heaven, feast upon the words of the scriptures and live as Christ would live. I promise that will bring you the lasting support and strength that you need to withstand the storms that we face each and everyday. As I have struggles I often find myself kneeling in prayer pleading with our Father in Heaven for the strength I need to make it through the day, I can testify that that strength comes, the peace and comfort you are seeking will come as you rely on and trust in Gods plan for you. Know that Christ has gone through everything you are going through (Alma 7:11-13) and that he is always there when you need him.
 
Before I go I have one short story to share:
Yesterday night as we were getting ready for bed a sister from the ward called us. She had been trying to get ahold of us all day because she had someone she wanted us to go visit. She told us that earlier this week she has gone for a walk and had passed a young father with some kids playing outside. She felt prompted to talk to them but kept going because she didn't know them. Eventually she made a U-turn and went back to talk to them. Without even trying, their conversation shifted to religion and she was able to share with them that she was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The father had heard of the church and was interested in learning more so she got his phone number and said she would help get us in touch with him. Her simple act of turning around to talk to someone she didn't even know allowed her to realize that God loves all His children and that the gospel really is for everyone. I hope that story gives you the courage to share the joy of the gospel with someone else this week. Whether we know them or not they are our brothers and sisters, children of God. I know that God loves us and I hope and pray that if you don't already know that you will pray to find out for yourself.
 
All my love,
Sister Lexy Smith
Just a few fun things in my area.


Smiley Building